Maps of Power

Island of Koločep, Church of St. Sergius

Crkva Sv. Srdja, Црква Св. Срђа

Begin between 01.01.0800 and 01.01.0900
End 31.12.1100

Description

The Church of St. Sergius was probably built at the end of the 11th century, even though Ivica Žile supposes it might have been built between the 9th and 10th century judging by the remains of an altar, pillar and a capital. The Church is nowadays almost completely ruined.
Its a single nave building with an apse that is semicircular inside and rectangular on the outside. There is no information about the dome nor about the girders that would divide the three-bay vault, but by analogy with other preserved Churches of the same type on the island (St. Nicholas and St. Anthony of Padua) its original existence can be assumed. The South wall is preserved best, at the height of approximately 3m, and has on its central bay a niche. In the 12th century on the South side of the church a parallel room was added, and on the North side - a cistern.